Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Experience - WARNING Spoiler Alert!!!!

So, since this blog is about cross-culture experiences, I decided to have an experience of my own with a horror film. I really wanted to see one of the classics, so after receiving advice from a few friends who are scary movie fanatics, I decided to watch The Shining. Made in 1980, this movie is based on the Stephen King novel of the same name. For anyone who doesn’t know, the movie is about a family who goes to spend the winter in an isolated hotel. The son has visions of past and future violence in the hotel and the father succumbs to violence under the influence of violent spirits haunting the area.
I can’t say that I enjoyed watching The Shining, but it was definitely a learning experience and I’m proud of myself. I know a lot of people who say that it’s not even scary, but I’ll admit to being pretty freaked out towards the end. One of the things I didn’t like about the movie is how it’s so easy to attribute the events to the people being “crazy.” Talking to people that aren’t there? That seems pretty crazy to me...
My one major disappointment with the film was the ending. The entire movie builds up to the father murdering his wife and son, but then... nothing. The two escape, unharmed for the most part, and the father freezes to death. It was all pretty anti-climactic. All in all, I’d say it was a pretty good movie and I’m definitely glad to have seen it. So the list of horror movies that I’ve seen has grown to three: The Sixth Sense, The Exorcist, and The Shining.

1 comment:

  1. As a lover of horror films and all genres of film for that matter I can say that The Shinning was a great one to view (also happens to be may favorite horror film.) I’m going to have to disagree with you on the film being anti-climatic. The Shinning is one of those horror films that do not need to show the villain killing innocent victims. This film is a psychological thriller that makes you feel a little crazy as the characters feel a little crazy. Also, I think you may have missed the climax point in the film. The most famous line “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy” written over and over again on hundreds of sheets of paper. At that point you know Nicholson’s character has lost his mind and has been crazy for a while. The ending gives a great chase seen that is filled with suspense. Great pick for a horror film to view, way to set high standards for the next one you watch. I think this is a great blog topic and must have been an interesting subject to investigate. Especially for someone who did not care much for horror films, good for you for diving into the culture.
    For your next view let me suggest Nightmare On Elm Street (good luck sleeping after this one). Great work on the blog.

    ReplyDelete